Latest on GNOME, Totem AirPlay, libimobiledevice 1.2.0, iOS 4.3, gdk-pixbuf-psd, Cherokee on iOS and openSUSE repositories
A typical plague of the internetz has hit this blog. It had no posts for a long time. -silence-
I am sorry for this, but even if it might surprise some people, sometimes there are more important things in life than keeping your blog updated.
Anyways here a quick overview of things that changed or matter before I get bugged at writing again:
- GNOME3 has been released. Congratulations!
- Removed my evolution-status-icon work, there is now evolution-tray which does the job (authors didn’t knew I had this done, too).
- openSUSE 11.4 is released and along with compiz 0.9.4, GNOME 2.32, NVIDIA drivers and subpixel hinting enabled it is just awesomely freaking nice.
- Bought a Vertex-2 64GB SSD to use as a system drive. Superb to speedup a system dramatically.
- Loads of changes on the libimobiledevice front:
- Released 1.0.6 stable for iOS 4.3+ compatibility. iOS 4.3 has a bug we needed to add a workaround for…
- libplist fixes a few serious bugs, so be sure to grab the latest 1.4.
- New idevicedate tool now allows to sync the iDevice time with your computer. Simply run “idevicedate -c” and that’s it.
- Christoph Fergeau (libgpod maintainer) created the first non-iTunes tool to push contacts on an iDevice using native protocols!
- “iTunes File Sharing” is now supported. It means that you can add port 3 to the URI (e.g.: afc://
:3/) in nautilus and with the latest GVFS you get a list of apps supporting file sharing and you can access the documents folders directly. Of course this works with ifuse using the new “–appid” command line argument aswell.
- libimobiledevice 1.2.0 is in the works:
- New Cython Python bindings are being merged now.
- idevicebackup4, the backup and restore tool for iOS 4+ is working. Needs some polish though before being merged.
- Wrote a Python plugin for Totem to act as an AirPlay receiver. Just pushed changes to make it work for iOS 4.3+ devices, too.
- Want to view thumbnails of Photoshop PSD files in nautilus and previews in eog, gthumb or whatever else uses “GDK Pixbufs“? I updated the loader written by Jan Dudek as he basically stopped maintaining it and added a proper build system and tagged a 0.1.0 release to get this into distros. I’ll try to package it soon.
- Also changes in my openSUSE repositories:
- Successfully compiled and tested the Cherokee Webserver on an Apple TV 2 running PHP. Heck, it’s fast. Plenty of ideas spawn in my head how to make use of this tiny $99 low-energy gem now. I’ll try to write up some howto on this once I got WordPress and other Web 2.0 animals running.
- mod_macro for Apache is very helpful if you are used to a load of copy/paste
- Was mentioned in the German c’t Magazin Issue 2/2011 in an article about libimobiledevice, nice!
- Turned 30. No comment on that.
- Loads of work and business projects right now.
More happened but I simply forgot to mention it now.